I don't teach school math but as a part of my voluntary activities in some related associations sometimes I am in this special situation.

Question 1. Are questions about teaching math to children who have some disabilities on-topic here?

Question 2. Is there any professional in this particular subject here?

Question 3. What should be the title of the related tag?

  • $\begingroup$ 1. Yes. 2. Currently on MESE? I'm not sure, but such researchers certainly exist at both ends of the spectrum (the other end being gifted education). 3. I think quid's suggestion of special-needs-education ought to suffice. $\endgroup$ Mar 26, 2014 at 22:59

1 Answer 1


The answer to #1 is "absolutely".

For #2, I have no idea. The only way to find out is to post a question about teaching disabled students on the main site, and see whether you get answers from any experts.

For #3, I would suggest a "special-education" or "special-needs" tag (see here), although I have no idea whether these terms are used outside of the United States.

  • $\begingroup$ re 3, at least it seems also common in UK en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_education_in_the_United_Kingdom (I delete my near identical answer.) Just I would not use only special-education as it could be interpreted in a different way. $\endgroup$
    – quid
    Mar 26, 2014 at 14:56
  • $\begingroup$ Is the question 2 related to the main or meta forum? It seems it is about users of this site and so will be closed in the main site. $\endgroup$
    – user230
    Mar 26, 2014 at 15:11
  • $\begingroup$ @SaintGeorg I have edited my description of #2 for clarity. I'm not suggesting asking on the main site whether there are any experts on special needs education -- I'm suggesting asking a question about special needs education, with the hope that it might be answered by an expert. $\endgroup$
    – Jim Belk
    Mar 26, 2014 at 16:38
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ On the tag name: special-needs-education should still fit below the length limit for tags. It would then follow the general pattern of having -education and the 'needs' for clarification. $\endgroup$
    – quid
    Mar 26, 2014 at 16:43
  • $\begingroup$ In the UK 'special needs' is a common phrase, but 'special education' is not so common. $\endgroup$ Mar 26, 2014 at 20:31

You must log in to answer this question.