I want to ask a question about the best term to use describe problems such as these where there are multiple steps to the problem.

enter image description here

Because I am looking for a term, I am considering it a terminology question.

I asked on MathOverflow, but they said it wasn't professional enough to ask over there and that I should ask on Mathematics Educators instead. Is Mathematics Educators the right place? I've browsed through the questions on the site, and I am not sure if it is a fit. Thanks for any advice or guidance.

  • $\begingroup$ Anyway, it might be called "long subtraction". $\endgroup$
    – Nat
    Commented Sep 1, 2022 at 20:10
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Here's a link for SE.Math. Most typical math questions would tend to go there, rather than on MathOverflow. By contrast, MathOverflow's more for stuff about research-level mathematics. $\endgroup$
    – Nat
    Commented Sep 1, 2022 at 20:14
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ A corresponding question on Mathematics Meta: Can I ask a question about terminology here? $\endgroup$
    – Martin
    Commented Sep 2, 2022 at 12:46
  • $\begingroup$ It seems to me to be a reasonable question to ask here. $\endgroup$
    – Sue VanHattum Mod
    Commented Sep 5, 2022 at 20:47
  • $\begingroup$ I find that MSE has really eschewed general math questions (about math) and only wants homework questions and puzzle questions. FWIW MO actually is more inclusive than MSE (that said, it's too easy for MO.) MESE sometimes seems to accept questions that a legalist might exclude (especially if MSE doesn't allow them, even though it should.) Plus the people are just nicer here. Or at MO. Than MSE. /not entirely trolling $\endgroup$
    – guest
    Commented Sep 26, 2022 at 18:46


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .